Guardianship Of Minors

The Law Office of Layla Summers in Culver City is dedicated to guiding families in the West Los Angeles area through tough times. In her practice as a family law attorney, she aims to bring understanding and compassion to situations where a child's parents can no longer care for them, assisting with the process of establishing a guardianship when necessary.

When Is A Guardianship Appropriate?

If placing children in the custody of either parent would cause them harm, a court may grant custody to a third party if it is in the best interests of the child. This may happen if the child's parents:

  • Die, become seriously ill or are otherwise incapacitated
  • Are serving jail time
  • Have problems with drugs or alcohol
  • Are abusive

Essentially, a guardianship is appropriate when a parental incapacity is a concern. Guardianship of a minor ends when the child turns 18.

What Kind Of Relationship Is Created With A Legal Guardian?

A guardian is someone other than a child's parent who either takes on custody of the child or manages their estate. They have the same responsibilities a parent would — a guardian is expected to provide food and shelter, medical care, education and any special needs.

Guardianship of a child is different from an adoption because the child's parents retain their parental rights and can request contact with the child. A guardianship may be granted to a child's grandparents or another relative, a friend of the family or anyone else found to be suitable by the court. Many California courts prefer to choose a guardian who has ties to the child and their family to make the transition easier for the child.

Providing Answers When They're Needed Most

If you are concerned about the welfare of a child you care about, contact the firm to learn more about the possibility of legal guardianship. To schedule a consultation with an experienced family lawyer, call 310-874-4088 or send a message online.