Modifications And Enforcements

Although child custody orders are commonly referred to as "final," they can be modified in certain situations. Circumstances change, and the children's best interests may be better served under a different arrangement. When you need help responding to new circumstances or want to enforce your current custody agreement, the Law Office of Layla Summers is here to assist you.

Child Custody Modifications

When a parent asks for a modification to the child custody agreement, they are expected to prove there has been a change in their circumstances since the custody order was made. California courts are hesitant to change custody orders because children benefit from consistency.

Sometimes a parent seeks a modification because they want to have sole custody of the children. However, acquiring sole custody can be very difficult. The courts are generally not willing to keep children away from one of their parents unless there are extreme circumstances present.

Enforcing A Court Order

If one parent refuses to follow the court-approved parenting or custody plan, the other can file a motion to enforce or even a motion for contempt. A motion for enforcement applies when you have been denied parenting time or you believe the other parent has violated the custody order.

A parent who has violated a final custody order is normally found in contempt of court. This can lead to a change in the custody order, although in some cases a court may decide to resolve the issue in a different way. It is important to keep the family court judge in mind throughout these cases — their job is to look out for the best interests of the child.

Work With A Lawyer Dedicated To California Families

These processes can be complicated, especially when emotions are running high. Layla Summers devotes her work as an attorney to helping families in California through the process. To contact her office in Culver City, call 310-874-4088. You can also request a consultation online.